pinterest

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Kid Cakes!





I wanted to make some small pancakes that I could freeze for the twins' breakfast,  these seemed like the perfect thing!


The pancake recipe I used was just the standard Bisquick recipe.  I didn't want the pancakes to be so fluffy that they just fell apart.  Keep in mind,  these were for my 1 year old's, so I needed to make sure they'd
hold up , and not make a huge mess.  If you prefer to make these with your favorite pancake mix,  go for it! The amount of pancakes varies depending on the size of your cookie cutters.

Here's a quick list of what you need:
*drink pitcher
*metal cookie cutters
*tongs
*vegetable oil
*nonstick pan to cook the pancakes
*tin foil


To start, mix up your pancake batter, and pour into the drink pitcher.


Heat up your pan on low (my stove was set to 3).

I set up a station to oil the cookie cutters by laying out a sheet of tin foil. At first, I was using an aerosol spray oil, which seemed like a waste.  More oil seemed to be sprayed on the foil, than on the cookie cutter,  so I chose an alternate way. I poured a small amount of oil into a bowl, then dipped the cutter in it, then flipped it over to get the other side and placed it on the foil.




Before you begin, you may want to check to see if your pan is warped or not. If it is, the cookie cutters will not stay flush against the pan. If it is, all is not lost, for mine was warped as well! (I'll post what to do lower down)
Once the pan is heated up, place a cookie cutter in the pan. (I was able to do three at a time)

 Next, pour the batter halfway into the cutter. If the shape has a lot of protruding ends, make sure you pour the batter evenly inside,  otherwise those parts with less batter could potentially fall off when removing the cookie cutter.

 Also, make sure you put enough batter in, not enough and it will also come apart, like this star...



Now, when I make pancakes, I know when they are done when the bubbles pop, and the hole stays. For these,  it takes a little bit longer to cook, due to them being thicker than normal.  For that reason,  I made sure the heat was on a lower setting, that way it wouldn't burn in the time it took to set.

The first pancake I made, when I was ready to take the mold off, it slipped off nicely enough,  but the top wasn't quite set yet. So when I went to flip it,  the loose batter just splattered into a mess. One side looked good, while the other didn't look good at all.

[This picture shows the underside of the first pancake, the flower]

[Here are the other sides. The first ones also weren't at the right heat, so they were darker]

Now, if you have a warped pan, this is what will happen...

 Never fear, a blowout like this is relatively easy to fix!

Since the blowout will prevent the mold from releasing,  you have to flip the pancake as is.


Once you flip it, gently push with your fingers, against the edges to cut off the excess.
After that,  gently press on the pancake to slide the mold off.

And there you have it,  fun pancake shapes!






No comments:

Post a Comment